This post has also been published on buzzfeed
1. Miss Universe was founded in 1952 in the U.S. and since 1996 is owned and operated by Donald Trump's Miss Universe Organization.
3. Countries with most Miss Universe Winners
4. History between the U.S. and Countries with the most Miss Universe Titleholders
- First, the U.S. based Miss Universe has awarded 8 crowns to the U.S.
- Second is Venezuela with 7 crowns, who had a close relationship with the U.S. characterized by the oil trade
- Third is Puerto Rico, a Commonwealth of the United States with 5 crowns.
- Fourth is Sweden which has strong economic relations with the U.S.
- First is Venezuela with 6 crowns and their relationship with the U.K. can be traced back to the Venezuela Crisis of 1902-1903 which led to the which led to the Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine.
- Tied for second with 5 crowns is India which was a colony of the U.K. until 1950, and the U.K. with 5 crowns.
- Third is a four-way tie between, the U.S., Iceland, Sweden and Jamaica. The first three have historically been strong economic allies, while Jamaica was under the U.K.'s control until 1962.
- Iceland (3 Miss World Crowns)
- Jamaica (3 Miss World Crowns)
- Austria (2 Miss World Crowns)
- China (2 Miss World Crowns)
- Russia (2 Miss World Crowns)
- Canada (2 Miss Universe Crowns)
- Japan (2 Miss Universe Crowns)
- Mexico (2 Miss Universe Crowns)
- Thailand (2 Miss Universe Crowns)
- Latin America and Caribbean 50%
- The U.S. 21%
- Southeast Asia has hosted 14%
- Cyprus & Russia 7% each
- China 43%
- The U.K and South Africa 21%
- Poland & Southeast Asia at 7% each
11. Since 2000, 57% of Miss Universe winners have come from Latin American and Caribbean countries, meanwhile 14% have come from Asia . Overall 35% of Miss Universe titleholders have been Hispanic.
Jimena Navarrette (Mexico) Miss Universe 2010
Yu Wenxia (China) 2012 Miss World